Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Reflections
My thoughts on this set of readings is that blogs are great, but they're not perfect, especially when they're not used well. As Howe pointed out, bloggers don't want to write on subjects about which they are not passionate. They didn't get a degree in journalism. They don't understand that some journalism is down- right boring. Therefore, outlets need to use bloggers correctly- allow them to write on subjects that interest them, for it creates better pieces. Still, on my news publication, taking after what Steele discusses in his article, I will require bloggers to identify themselves and sources that they use. I want the blogs to be credible sources of information. I would still employ an online communications editor to review blogs and question sketchy posts, but at least bringing some accountability to the table will enforce bloggers to think before they write. Indeed the blogging process has completely changed professional journalists, as Bradshaw writes. Besides for the sports journalist- and I'm assuming they have been passed over by the crowd because sports really isn't that subjective, controversial or hard to cover- almost everyone has had to reassess how they should do their job. I was very surprised by Colonel Tribune. It will be the day when Mr.Ms (?) NYTimes friends me on Facebook and wants me to post interesting story leads that I have heard about throughout the day. Still, I see the benefit of providing this outlet. For one thing, it lets the newspaper reach a much younger, untapped generation, and that is always a good thing. I could see my online publication having an identity on some social network. It really wouldn't hurt any to experience with it, though, the person behind the identity would have to continually check itself to make sure it was upholding the strictest ethics behind journalism.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment